A few blog posts ago, we talked about the ultimate stretch, which explored how stretching can help with muscle cramps management.
Today, let's get a quick snapshot of what a cramped up muscle looks or feels like and what we can do about it in that moment itself.
So, what happens when your muscle cramps up? The affected muscle1:
- Will feel harder than normal to touch
- May show visible signs of twitching
- May cause excruciating pain if it is severe
If your muscle starts cramping up, follow these steps below to help relieve the cramp1:
- Stop doing the activity that triggered it
- Gently stretch and massage the area
- Then, apply a heat pack to relax the muscle
So there you have it, a nice and easy fix to a muscle cramp. However, try to identify what is causing the cramp in the first place so that you can exercise preventive measures instead. For more information, check out the reference link below.
Created by Kw
1. American Osteopathic Association. Muscle Cramp - A Common Pain [Internet]. [cited 2016 November 3]. Available from: http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/general-health/Pages/muscle-cramp.aspx